(né Stephen Fleming)
Specialist in Technology for Language Education
University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Developing distance education applications for Chinese language at beginning,
intermediate, and advanced levels; teaching Chinese language in the classroom and via distributed
media; coordinating the offering of distance language courses at the University
of Hawaii; developing
Chinese language educational materials; disseminating models of
effective pedagogy for foreign languages via distance education.
- CHN 105 and 205
- Beginning and Intermediate Chinese for Business Professionals (8 credits each) , taught in a traditional classroom using a combination of traditional and online media. The course text is Encounters: Chinese Language and Culture by Cynthia Ning ??? et al.
- I am currently teaching beginning
and intermediate Chinese for business professionals.
- I am co-authoring the Level 2 text for the Encounters: Chinese Language and Culture series for Yale UP.
- I coordinate and assist work
on the creation of Web-based and distributed language courses using BRIX,
the University of Hawaii's Web-based course management system for languages.
- After working in the 1990s on
appropriate pedagogic strategies for the use of ITV to teach language,
I composed a Web site with information about the same topic, Foreign
Language Instruction via Interactive Television.
- I have assisted other instructors
in LLL to develop interactive television-based courses in Chinese, Hawaiian,
and Filipino (Tagalog). I have also provided support for the development
of Web-based courses for our college in English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
Thai, Khmer (Cambodian), Filipino (Tagalog), Ilokano,
Instructional Media: integrating
technology into the language curriculum and classroom.
111 and 112
- Conversational Mandarin Chinese (3 credits each),
taught via an array of distributed media, namely: independent study materials
such as books and CD-ROMs; the World Wide Web; and live, local tutoring
in each location where the course is offered. More details of the model
are described in "Distance Education to Distributed Learning: Multiple
Formats and Technologies in Language Instruction" in CALICO
Journal (22) 1, p. 63-82, September, 2004. The course text is Communicating
in Chinese by Cynthia Ning.
- Continuation of Conversational Mandarin Chinese (3 credits each) into the second year. Course text is Exploring
in Chinese by Cynthia Ning.
- These Web-based courses,
available both to Manoa students and to Outreach College extension students,
strengthen reading and writing skills at the Intermediate-High to Advanced
level. For more information, visit the link above.
An online version of my CV may be seen
Copyright ©2014 by Stephen Tschudi.