The 2000 Summer Institute incorporated training in language test construction and evaluation and examined the role of technology in assessment, focusing on web and computer-based testing for less commonly taught languages. Specifically, participants:
- Developed techniques of test design
- Focused on multiple test formats
- Wrote tests for use around the nation
- Focused on self-assessment, proficiency, achievement
- Used the WWW as a test dissemination method
- Learned or developed competence in HTML and selected web editors
The targeted less commonly taught languages were Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tagalog (Filipino), and Vietnamese.