Envisioning Project-Based Language Learning (PBLL) is designed as a 5-week open-enrollment course for language educators beginning to learn about Project-Based Language Learning (PBLL). Successful learners will be able to describe essential features of high quality PBLL and to generate high-quality ideas for projects using the Product Square. An optional badge is available at a small fee for candidates fulfilling course requirements.
Registration and the content for this MOOC (massive open online course) is FREE. However, if you wish to earn the optional digital badge for completion afterwards, you will need to meet the badge criteria and pay a nominal fee ($25) to have your submitted materials evaluated by NFLRC staff.
SPRING 2021: Course open February 1–March 8, 2021
Registration deadline (January 28, 2021) has passed. We are no longer accepting registration requests. Check again for our offering next year.
The following is a selection of targeted learning outcomes for this MOOC (massive open online course):
- identify essential features of high quality project-based learning (PBL) project designs
- identify key concerns of project-based language learning PBLL compared to PBL in other disciplines
- describe sources for project ideas
- identify the three dimensions of “authenticity” in projects
- craft an effective “driving question” (challenging question or problem)
- generate multiple project ideas and test them using the Product Square, aligning product, audience, partners, and purpose
- anticipate “Need-To-Knows” for a project’s content, skills, and management
Instruction spans five modules (one per week), for an equivalent of five hours’ contact time (or one-half CEU). A digital badge is conferred on participants who complete specified tasks in the MOOC and submit them for evaluation.
Digital badge submission deadline: March 8, 2021
- Learned about fundamental aspects of Project-based Language Learning (PBLL) and some of the commonalities and differences between PBL and PBLL by completing a series of online modules.
- Completed and submitted the following deliverables:
- three project ideas;
- three Product Squares;
- one revised Product Square;
- a self-evaluative composition reflecting on the strengths and weaknesses of the Product Square they have generated.
- Participated in a collegial discussion on topics related to language learning project planning, design, and implementation by posting substantive responses to prompts related to PBLL in the majority (i.e., at least 3) of the discussions in the lessons.
To apply for the badge, enrollees need to complete a MOOC Exit Survey inside the course. Once the survey is complete, they will see a link to the badge application form.
Developing Your Project Further
For those interested in developing their project idea further (including planning for implementation and teaching), you may be interested in applying for our 2021 Project-Based Language Learning (PBLL) summer institute (June, 2021 – location TBA). Earning a digital badge from the Envisioning PBLL MOOC (see above) is a prerequisite for applying. Here are some important dates (tentative) to keep in mind:
- Envisioning PBLL MOOC badge request deadline: March 8, 2021
- Summer institute application period opens: March 15, 2021
- Summer institute application deadline: April 5, 2021
- Summer institute acceptance notification – April 19, 2021