Envisioning Project-Based Language Learning (PBLL) is a MOOC designed as a 5-module open-enrollment self-study course for language educators beginning to learn about Project-Based Language Learning (PBLL). Successful learners will be able to describe essential features of high quality PBLL and to generate high-quality ideas for projects using the Product Square. A digital badge is available for candidates fulfilling course requirements.
Registration and the content for this MOOC (massive open online course) is FREE.
- Registration open October 22, 2022 – February 24, 2023
- Course open from October 22, 2022 – March 31, 2023
The following is a selection of targeted learning outcomes for this MOOC (massive open online course):
- identify essential features of high quality project-based learning (PBL) project designs
- identify key concerns of project-based language learning PBLL compared to PBL in other disciplines
- describe sources for project ideas
- identify the three dimensions of “authenticity” in projects
- craft an effective “driving question” (challenging question or problem)
- generate multiple project ideas and test them using the Product Square, aligning product, audience, partners, and purpose
- anticipate “Need-To-Knows” for a project’s content, skills, and management.
Instruction spans five modules, for an equivalent of five hours’ contact time (or one-half CEU). A digital badge is conferred on participants who complete specified tasks in the MOOC and submit them for evaluation.
Obtaining the badge from this online course is a prerequisite to apply for the PBLL in Action Summer Institute to be organized by the NFLRC at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa for Early Summer 2023. In order to receive a badge, you will need to make sure to meet the following criteria:
- Learned about fundamental aspects of Project-based Language Learning (PBLL) and some of the commonalities and differences between PBL and PBLL by completing a series of online modules and self-assessment quizzes.
- Participated in a collegial discussion on topics related to language learning project planning, design, and implementation by posting substantive responses to prompts related to PBLL in the majority (i.e., at least 3) of the discussions in the lessons.
- Completed and submitted a Product Square that presents information on one of your project ideas.
- Completed and submitted the final self-assessment with a score of at least 90%.
Developing Your Project Further
For those interested in developing their project idea further (including planning for implementation, teaching, and conducting action research on it), you may be interested in applying for our 2023 PBLL in Action Summer Institute in Honolulu, Hawai‘i (May 31–June 7, 2023). A digital badge from the Envisioning PBLL MOOC is a prerequisite for applying to the summer institute. Envisioning PBLL MOOC digital badges should be completed and applied for no later than March 6, 2023 to allow sufficient time to be evaluated and awarded prior to the summer institute application deadline (March 17, 2023).
Need more PBLL Resources?
Check out our PBLL Resources webpage for the full array of our resources on PBLL.