Fundamentals of Project-Based Language Learning is an introductory online institute for world language instructors and world language curriculum and professional development specialists. Participants who complete the online institute gain basic familiarity with theoretical and practical aspects of designing projects for the context of world language teaching and learning. The online institute progresses through five modules.
Participants who received a badge completed a Project Blueprint that specifies basic aspects of project design and interacted with colleagues in activities or discussions on this topic. Participation in the institute and completion of the Project Blueprint provide evidence that the badge recipient:
- learned about fundamental aspects of Project-Based Language Learning (PBLL) and some of the commonalities and differences between PBL and PBLL;
- developed a world language project for a specific context and described it in a Project Blueprint document;
- designed sample standards-based tasks that target specific areas of language learning and 21st Century Skills;
- described an articulated sequence of project tasks and corresponding assessment;
- participated in a collegial discussion on topics related to language learning project planning, design and implementation by posting responses to prompts related to PBLL in the majority (at least 8) of the “Get Involved” sections;
- provided feedback to two colleagues on their Project Blueprints.
From PBL to PBLL
What is Project-Based Learning (PBL)?
From PBL to PBLL: What language teachers need to know about adapting PBL to the language education context
Developing a project idea
Beginning Your Project Planning
Starting with the end in mind: Defining outcomes
Task designs for authentic language use
The Product Square: Keeping your project on track
Interculturality and PBLL
What is interculturality?
Connecting learners with communities
Interculturality in lesson and task design
Language, Content, & Technology
Scaffolding Interpretive Communication
Scaffolding Interpersonal Communication
Scaffolding Presentational Communication
Designing Tasks and Assessment
Finalizing your project blueprint