Ten reading lessons from a variety of sources, including:
- a newspaper report of a hijacking
- a family letter to Chinese students in the US
- a letter of agreement between two institutions
These materials are designed for advanced learners, approximately third year level or above. All of them are based on authentic or simulated-authentic materials, in other words, materials created by native speakers for native speakers (or a close imitation), including newspaper articles, personal letters, and informational brochures.
KÀN NA! Authentic Chinese reading & video offers twenty lessons based on clips selected from Chinese Language Video Clips. Filmed on location in Beijing, these naturalistic video clips consist chiefly of unrehearsed interviews of ordinary folk. The learner is led through a series of activities aiding comprehension and learning that sharpen communication strategies and linguistic skills.
KÀN NA! and HANGUL-RO BOJA! are multimedia lessons that guide the user step by step through a five-stage series of activities designed to approximate the strategies used by native speakers to comprehend text and video. The stages are:
- pre- activities: the user is invited to predict and make guesses about the material, and to activate background knowledge
- global activities: the user identifies sections of the material and the topics that belong to them
- specific information activities: the user gets detailed information about individual topics
- linguistic activities: the user works with vocabulary and linguistic structures that have enabled comprehension
- post- activities: the user integrates new language into a productive activity
PC version ONLY available; you may download the files for PC here. DOESN’T ALWAYS WORK WELL ON NEWER OPERATING SYSTEMS. WE ARE GIVING OUR REMAINING STOCK AWAY FREE UPON REQUEST, CONTACT NFLRC.