This Summer Institute is designed for world language educators who have some knowledge of Project-Based Learning (PBL) as well as some practice in generating project ideas. During the Institute, participants will flesh out their ideas for a project design they have already subjected to critique. Applicants must complete the prerequisite NFLRC MOOC (massive open online course) Envisioning Project-Based Language Learning and earn a badge in order to qualify for consideration for the Institute.
Duration: 5 instructional days (Monday – Friday)
Location: Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, VA)
Summer Institute Application Period Opens: May 6, 2021
Summer Institute Application Period: Rolling admissions until filled
Notification of Participant Selection Decisions: On acceptance
Summer Institute Starts: July 26, 2021
Summer Institute Ends: July 30, 2021
Envisioning PBLL is a prerequisite for applicants to the 2021 NFLRC Summer Institute. This brief course is designed as an open-enrollment course for language educators beginning to learn about Project-based Language Learning (PBLL).
Summer Institute Application Form
Summer Institute Learning Outcomes
- develop and outline a contextualized project-based language learning task;
- foster language proficiency development through appropriate communicative events embedded in project-based language learning experiences;
- employ effective scaffolding strategies for language, content, interactions, process, product, and use of technology;
- design and implement effective assessments for project-based tasks;
- use appropriate technology for supporting project-based language learning, e.g. for:
- locating project partners and culturally authentic materials,
- gathering relevant content-related resources,
- facilitating student collaboration and engaging learners in communicating with communities of target language speakers,
- providing formative feedback, and
- sharing student work with authentic audiences, and
- supporting professional growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS INSTITUTE? HOW DO I APPLY?
We invite practicing K-16 world language educators to apply to participate. The summer institute is not a beginner’s workshop. In order to join, applicants will need to first earn a digital badge from the Envisioning PBLL MOOC as a prerequisite. Seats are limited and applications will be competitive.
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in the summer institute, we encourage you to apply. Please submit an online application form. Be sure to allow adequate time to fully answer the questions. Also, don’t forget to proofread your entries before submission. If you experience any difficulty with the online form, please contact us for assistance.
Email notification of selection results will take place on a rolling basis. We will be accepting around 20-25 participants for this summer institute.
2) I RECEIVED A DIGITAL BADGE FOR COMPLETION OF A PREVIOUS NFLRC FUNDAMENTALS OF PBLL ONLINE INSTITUTE. DO I NEED TO TAKE THE ENVISIONING PBLL MOOC TO APPLY FOR THE 2021 SUMMER INSTITUTE?
If the NFLRC has a record of your completion of all requirements for the digital badge in the 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 Fundamentals of PBLL Online Institute, you are exempted from the requirement to receive a badge in the Envisioning PBLL MOOC. Your previously earned badge will qualify you to apply for the 2021 Summer Institute. Simply fill in your digital badge URL in the relevant blank in the application.
3) I TEACH ESL/EFL. CAN I APPLY FOR THE INSTITUTE?
The mission of the national Language Resource Centers (LRCs) is to help improve the U.S. capacity in foreign language education, especially in less commonly taught languages. English as a second or foreign language (ESL/EFL) is outside the scope of this summer institute. Applicants should be teachers of languages other than English.
4) ARE THERE ANY INSTITUTE FEES? CAN I GET CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS OR ACADEMIC CREDITS FOR MY PARTICIPATION?
There are no fees for submitting an online application form. However, accepted participants are required to pay a $100 registration fee. Please DO NOT SEND PAYMENT UNLESS NOTIFIED OF ACCEPTANCE.
5) WHERE WILL THE INSTITUTE TAKE PLACE?
The summer institute will be held July 26-30, 2021 at Virginia Commonwealth University. Only accepted participants are allowed to attend.
6) IS FINANCIAL SUPPORT AVAILABLE FOR SUMMER INSTITUTE PARTICIPANTS?
Unfortunately, no financial support is available, and we encourage accepted summer institute participants to seek needed funding from their institutions.
7) ARE THERE LODGING OPTIONS AVAILABLE?
Participants will be responsible for securing their own lodging near the VCU campus in Richmond, VA
8) ARE MEALS PROVIDED?
A daily coffee service with snacks will be provided. However, participants will be responsible for their own meals.
9) IS TRANSPORTATION PROVIDED?
No air or ground transportation is provided. Transportation is the responsibility of the participant.
For more information about transportation options available, please visit these websites: Richmond International Airport & Virginia Commonwealth University (Monroe Park campus)
10) IS CHILDCARE PROVIDED AT THE INSTITUTE?
No childcare is provided.